disclaimer

Copyright 2012-14 Leslie Robinson All Rights Reserved

Friday, April 18, 2014

From Being Powerless to a POWERFULLY Great Coffee Cake

I don't know why this is so fuzzy and I cannot figure out how to sharpen it, so here are the words
It began innocently enough, as many things do. A little bit of fun without much thought. When you failed to notice the subtle currents and slipped in deeper. You still had a chance, but now you're adrift and wonder how you lot control.

HOWEVER.......


Today, by being powerless, I choose to accept the things I cannot change. By changing the things I can, I am not helpless.

This is one powerful coffee cake! It was published in the LA Times YEARS ago. I tried to find a copy of it, but I could not. My mom also had a healthier version, but when I asked for a copy of it, she said she threw it away long ago because we NEVER made it that way!  So, here is the original recipe - would be GREAT for Easter brunch!


                                                                    











MERK'S COFFEE CAKE

(From COOKS.COM)

1/2 c. shortening I used butter flavored Crisco, but plane will work
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
2 c. flour (all-purpose)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1/2 pt. sour cream (dairy type)  which is 1 cup

NUT MIXTURE:
6 tbsp. soft butter
1 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. chopped nuts I saw a recipe that had walnuts in it so that's what I bought,    but I think pecans would be yummy

You may want to make the nut mixture first, so it is ready when the batter is done. I did it the opposite way and the batter sat while I made the nut mixture. I'll do it the other way around the next time.

Cream shortening and sugar. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and
beat well after each. Add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream. Pour
into well greased and floured bundt or tube pan, 1/2 of batter. Sprinkle
with 2/3 nut mix. Add remaining batter. Sprinkle remaining nut mix on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan and then
remove from pan. MINE WAS DONE IN ABOUT 40 MINUTES, SO CHECK IT OFTEN! When a toothpick comes out clean, it's done! About 12 minutes later......


I know it is called COFFEE Cake, but a hot slice is best served with a cold glass of milk!  
ENJOY!! (I did!)

When you make this, please leave a comment on how it turned out for you!

If anyone has the healthier alternative recipe, please share! 




1 comment:

  1. I hope everyone will give this coffee cake a try. It has been one of our favorites forever, and it is worth every calorie! Thanks for reminding me of how good it really is!! Mom

    ReplyDelete