disclaimer

Copyright 2012-14 Leslie Robinson All Rights Reserved

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Feed Me Friday - Food for Your Body and Soul

We just completed Step 5 (Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs) on the Wednesday posts. Most addicts have a real fear of that step. Some of us fear a lot that life has to offer. Here is a prayer that might help you through the rough spots. 
From Meditations for Street Chicks Step 5 Booklet
Available through our website - click the link on the right.

You could also just sing this Bob Marley song to lift your spirits -


I often try to calm my fear and anxiety with eating. Sugar is my go-to food. (I am not saying that it's the right thing to do - but many addicts turn to sugar!) Here is a recipe that was submitted by a reader. It is so EASY that even stirring is not required. Very little clean up involved. Thanks 'mom'! 

Rhubarb Dump Cake

1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (between 3 and 4 cups) (if fresh is not available, look for frozen)
1 cup white sugar (you can substitute Splenda here if you would like) (Stevia conversion is 1/4c)
1 (3 ounce package) strawberry jell-o (sugar free works fine)
1 package yellow cake mix (I used a white cake mix because that's what I had in the cabinet)
1 cup water
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. (I put the butter in the pan, in the oven while it preheated to melt it and grease the pan) Spread the rhubarb evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the sugar over the rhubarb, followed by the jell-o, and finally the cake mix. 

Rhubarb (NOT uniformly cut - that's how it came in the bag - frozen) with sugar (Stevia) and jello 
Pour the water and melted butter over the top. Do not stir. 
Looks like you should stir - but don't - you don't need to do more dishes!

Bake for 45 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.





Not the prettiest cake you've ever seen - but it's pretty tasty!! 



This would be awesome served warm with ice cream or whipped cream!  Since this one was a low sugar version, I would have liked some frozen yogurt!

Please share your favorite recipe! Either leave it in a comment below, or use the link to the right to contact us!




1 comment:

  1. Wow - I can definitely relate to this....in a different way. I left a teacher job on LI because of a breakdown I had. I could be making $80,000 a year or more about now and I could afford basically whatever I wanted. My downward spiral related to mental illness and I wasn't able to do the job I did so well before. I am starting to learn that those things aren't what really make you rich....although I knew it....but now I have to accept it because it's my reality. I think your story is inspirational and it helps me to read it. Thank you. ~Dawn~

    ReplyDelete